Sunday, September 21, 2014

Eldrazi the Very Angry Caterpillar, Or, What a green worm with feet taught me about life, love, and screwing with nature (ok not really all of those just the last one.)

I'd like you all to meet Eldrazi.

Displaying IMG_20140918_185452_480.jpg
 I didn't know what kind of caterpillar Eldrazi was at first..all I knew was he was a behemoth with a taste for tomato leaves; I decided to keep him. 

When I say behemoth, I mean it. He was about the length of my hand, hence his name. You know, because of Magic:The Gathering.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Dinoman42/ulamog.jpg 
I wasn't sure what kind of Eldrazi he was specifically, but you get the idea. The whole thingamabisquit with massive size and being an annihilator. :3 Ah, if only I had an Ulamog in my deck...oh the havoc I would wreak...delicious...ANYWAYS

I made Eldrazi a little cage where I could observe him from. Since I didn't have a butterfly habitat conveniently lying around, I had to get creative.

 Displaying IMG_20140918_190406_848.jpg
Yes, that is a leg of pantyhose stuffed with a plate, a dismembered sour cream carton and tomato leaves. WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME PUNY MORTAL I AM THE GOD OF WORMS WITH FEETS

Anyhoo, Eldrazi was pretty chill with the whole transition. Just munched leaves. Caterpillar don't give no shiz. 

At first.

It's day 2- Eldrazi the big-arse caterpillar is really unhappy. He stopped eating and was restlessly pacing around his saucer. I hung him up outside hoping this disturbing behavior would cease.

I knew nothing of disturbing.

Just before I moved him, I hear the sound of ripping fabric. Do you know what that was?

ELDRAZI THE REALLY FRACKING ANGRY CATERPILLAR IS USING HIS STEEL PINSIRS TO TRY AND RIP AN OPENING IN THE ULTRA STRONG NYLON AND I AM SCARED OUT OF MY MIND BECAUSE HE IS ABOUT TO SUCCEED

Lol nope.

He keeps trying to rip through when I move him outside.

Displaying IMG_20140920_095607_991.jpg 
IS THAT NOT TERRIFYING

Did I mention I still have no clue what species he is?

GUESS WHAT

HE'S A HAWKMOTH CATERPILLAR AND HE WILL BE BEAUTIFUL

I'm really worried when day three rolls around.

Eldrazi looked really sick. He wasn't moving and had turned a sickly yellow green color. His skin seemed to sag and was wrinkly. I felt like a terrible person.

I decided I needed to let him go free into the wild from whence he came for his sake.

And so he dropped to the ground, regained his healthy green color and started burrowing. 

WFT Eldrazi.

Apparently, hawkmoth caterpllars burrow into the earth when it's time for them to pupate, which means THAT IS WHY ELDRAZI WAS SO ANGRY THERE JUST WASN'T ANY DIRT TO BURROW INTO

I bid him farewell and good luck, and prayed I hadn't harmed his chances of survival throughout the long, cold winter.

Displaying IMG_20140921_103339_499.jpg
Farewell, Eldrazi, my terrifying yet strangely cute friend. I hope we shall meet again in the future, I a little wiser, and you with the ability to fly and do cool stuff with your antennae.

Love and wise feets,
Victory

No comments:

Post a Comment